Some advantages of the calcite over the plastics are as follows:
- Depending on different chemical surface coating, it provides dop oil saving.
- It provides pigment saving due to its high whiteness.
- It has a flame retardant property due to its chemical structure.
- It increases the writability of the packing materials.
- It has a positive effect on notched impact strength.
- It has a regulatory impact on the viscosity in polymer.
The micronized calcite used as a filling material in plastic sector
- Must control the rheological properties of PVC plastisols,
- Must not include heavy metals causing polymers to age,
- Must have high chemical purity,
- Must have high whiteness for saving expensive white pigments,
- Ground particles must not gather together and agglomerate again,
- Must not intake high amount of oil,
- Must not absorb the flux oil or the chemical substances used in the formulation,
- Must have a high rate of whiteness for saving expensive white pigments and dyeability at high filling levels,
- Must disperse easily,
- Must not cause machines to be worn,
- Must have homogeneity,
- Must enhance hardening, the structural properties of the final product, impact resistance, stability and resistance against ageing,
- Must protect against heating up due to its solidifying effect,
- Must prevent blocking on broken film surfaces,
- Must be scentless, tasteless and non-toxic.
However, as calcite is an inorganic mineral and it has a surface potential difference with the organic polymers, the way of coating calcite in order to provide better physical values has appeared as one of the most common ways of reducing the cost. In this regard, ground calcium carbonate is exposed to the coating processes with stearic acid at different levels and coated calcite is produced.
Some advantages of coated CaCO₃ over plastics are:
- The hydrophobic structure,
- Low surface energy,
- Easy dispersal property,
- High homogeneity,
- High resistance,
- More bright and smooth surfaces,
- Low magnitude of machine wearing,
- High machine efficiency.